Wednesday, August 26, 2009

First Kiss, Last Dance

I don’t always plan to go in chronological order here but it seems like the next likely story to share would be my ACTual first kiss. I saved myself for the ripe ole age of 14. Now, back in the golden ages of the 80’s when I was in high school, that was considered “old” for not being kissed. But, as previously mentioned in “first kiss-almost”, for some internal Victorian reason, I wasn’t ready. (I feel like this should somehow make my mother proud) So, 9th grade and never been kissed. Not even pecked and DEFinitely “no tongue”.

His name was Jim Watkins and his bright blue eyes sucked me right off the skate rink and into his dreamy arms. I’d see him every Saturday night at the local skating rink; the hot spot for the weekend. Me, chomping on a Chic-O-Stick in the snack area, waiting to catch a glimpse him circling by every minute or so. Him, being studly as he grinned at anyone he made eye contact with.

Let me set the mood for you. First off, leave the rink and join me at my first Homecoming dance. I’m quite sure the home team lost but nobody cared. Right after the game, we made our way to the transformed gymnasium and we were ready to DANCE. I went with my girlfriend Judy Shubert. We got ready at her place and my mom had asked us to take pictures since she wasn’t there to see us get ready. We of course didn’t care about pictures and therefore forgot.

I caught sight of Jim right away. He moved on the dance floor just like he did on the rink. Slightly swaying to the music but in a way that looked like he wasn’t trying, that he just happened to be in rhythm. I had slow skated with him a couple of times in the past but he never pulled me in. It was always arms on each others’ waist and enough distance between us to have a conversation where we could look each other in the eye if need be.

Back to the dance. Everything was fun, Judy and I danced with our other friends and were having a blast. The night was winding down and like every good high school dance, the dj ended it with a slow song. I couldn’t believe it, he put on “Take These Broken Wings”. This was my favorite romantic cheesy song at the time and I scanned the room for Jim. He totally caught me looking for him, walked right to me and reached out for my hand. And this time when we slow danced without our skates on, he held me too close to make eye contact. There we are on the dance floor, me with this teen hunk I’d had the biggest crush on, swaying to Mr. Mister, cheeks brushing against each other. I thought I was going to die. And then, he kissed me.

I almost wish someone had been videotaping this moment (not really because I’m sure it’s better in my mind than anything else). But, when his lips met mine and shyly introduced the idea of tongues touching I’m pretty sure my already closed eyes rolled in the back of my head and I swooned a little bit. Good thing it was dark and he was basically holding me up while I was dancing in his arms. I’d never felt anything like it, physically or emotionally. I melted. The funny thing was, Judy was dancing next to me and saw the whole thing. She was so excited for me she suggested we take a picture to commemorate this night. My mom got her picture and I got proof that my eyes would be a dead give away to any emotion I had. That night, they sparkled.

No comments:

Post a Comment